Friday, June 10, 2016

Bits and Pieces of Our -- No, My -- Days

Where have I been? 

What an insightful question.

I used to blog, right? And then, my children suddenly grew up, my youngest became a teenager, and I mostly clammed up about my girls because they were no longer kid-quote-fodder for my blog (other than sharing the occasional witticism.) There's plenty to ponder about raising teenagers and living with young college women, but not plenty to blog about. It's their life, not mine.

~~~~~

I haven't blogged much about homeschooling, other than books Ramona and I read together, because I keep thinking, "Do I have anything left to say about homeschooling? Haven't I already told everyone it's about Reading Aloud and Talking!? Isn't it all there in the archives?" Maybe, maybe not. I toy with the idea of a book about homeschooling. Not sure.

~~~~~

Then there's what I call Facebook-Creep. What I used to always, always post on the blog feels more like a quick FB post, so I throw it over there. Then I think, "What about the people who aren't on Facebook? Who don't want to deal with its ridiculous, wonky algorithm? Who don't want a social media platform deciding for them what's a 'top story'?" And I think, "Hmmm. I should blog more."

~~~~~

Then I think, "There are so many blogs, and so many who do it so well: homeschool blogging, read-aloud blogging, parenting blogging, bookish blogging. Am I just tired of blogging? Do I even remember how to blog about anything other than Poetry Friday? Not that there's anything wrong with that...."

~~~~~

Then I take a nap.

~~~~~

I will never stop writing. One of the reasons my blogging has decreased is that other writing--and the necessary promotion of that writing, i.e., my books, by way of radio interviews, etc.--has increased. I guess I'm just in one of those regular, "What am I doing?" phases that I go through.

~~~~~

Have been doing lots of radio interviews lately, to talk about You Can Share the Faith. Lots of good, thought provoking conversations about what it does and doesn't mean to evangelize, and about how what flows out of us is rooted in our own, ongoing conversion. It's always fascinating to me to hear people's reactions to this book. I think the cover, the font, the cups of tea, indicate something a little lighter, but I've been told that once people dig in to the book, they find the content to be much more serious than they'd anticipated. If you've read it and we haven't talked, I'd love to hear your take on that.

~~~~~

Coming up: I recorded a Fountains of Carrots podcast with Christy Isinger and Haley Stewart and, as always, enjoyed it immensely. They told me I'm their first return guest. Huzzah! An honor. And of course, it was a lot of fun to talk to them. I'll pass on the link when the podcast is released.

~~~~~

Hey, I think this is a blog post! I'll try to come up with another one. Before the next Poetry Friday.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kay said...

Yay! you're back! I've missed your posts! How about some about what Atticus is cooking for dinner this summer? We all need his fresh ideas!

elli said...

I miss you when you don't write :-) am definitely not a FB person!

I still natter on about homeschooling ... Lesson-Logs, what we're reading, documentaries, science ... I still like reading posts like that (my kids are 14 and 16 now) and I wish more people wrote them .. Ah well :-)

Karen Edmisten said...

Unknown, thank you! :) Tonight for dinner, Atticus provided us with a Little Caesars pizza. I will work on a post about other things he's doing. :)

Ellie, thank you, too! I still like reading about other homeschools with older kids, too, so I know what you mean, and I always love to read your stuff. I hope to write more often this summer!